Friday, September 3, 2010

The Tough Decisions.

Being an adult blows sometimes. But along with those crap moments, it's peppered with moments that make me revel in the freedom and maturity that adulthood brings. I get to appreciate things that I wouldn't have understood as a child. I get to taste and savor moments of severe contentment, and have them logged in my memory to access as I need them.

Paul and I have made the very-adult decision of finding a new home for our first child, our puppy, our little dog Violet. It was brought on by several factors, the two most prominent being that she was not getting the active lifestyle that she needed with us, as we were overwhelmed with taking care of the kids, let alone a dog (who, really, was another child). Also, she's in such a good home right now, with a doggie friend and a loving and willing family that has agreed to take her in as their own.

Some people can juggle the kids, the dog, the house, the cooking. I am not one of those people. I really wish I was. Maybe I will continue to grow into my role as a stay-at-home mom, and will be able, in the future, to take on more tasks without losing my mind. But right now, the kids have all of my attention, all of my energy, and it just wasn't fair to Violet.

It makes me sad. Paul had to deliver the news, as I was curled in on myself with my fist shoved in my mouth, willing myself not to jump in a say "Nevermind! Nevermind! We want her back!" It was not the hardest decision I've made in my life. I've known for some time now that she would do better with a family who was able to give her the attention she needed. But it WAS the hardest decision I've ever had to follow through on. Knowing something is right does not make it easy to do.

I am happy for her, that she has this new home and new family to run around with. I am sad for us, that we've lost what was possibly the best dog ever to grace this earth. If we get another dog in the future, when things have settled down a bit, it will have some big paws to fill, as anyone who has met Violet would agree. There's a little empty space in our family right now, but it will be alright. We've done what's best for Violet.

We will miss you, girl.


No comments: