Saturday, February 14, 2009

Games Moms Love.

This is new. Like, as of today, new. I have been trying to get Alex to put things in a bucket, instead of constantly dump them out, and up until this point, it's been a huge failure. But, today, out of nowhere, she started doing this.

I am not sure if I can phrase this correctly so you understand what a huge deal this is. But really. I am so proud of her. Right after I took this video, she crawled over to the living room and proceeded to put all of her little magnet letters into a different pail. She picked up after herself. And the title of the post- I love this game because a) no pick-up after, and b) she did this for about an hour. Amazing.

I was nearly in tears, both because I am so happy and proud, but also because it dawned on me that in a few weeks, we will be celebrating her FIRST BIRTHDAY. As in, a whole year old. Has it already been twelve months since I saw her little face for the first time? I can't believe it. Yet, at the same time, I feel like she's been the center of my life for much longer than that.

I'll save the rest of my weepy my-girl-is-getting-too-big post for after the actual birthday.

Speaking of which, what the heck do you do for a first birthday party?? I have no idea, and I am kind of starting to freak out. Do we just sit and stare and laugh at Alex for a few hours? Because I am not sure that I want to invest in ponies and bouncy castles and magicians and clowns (scratch that- never going to hire a clown). Well, make that, I am NOT going to invest in those things. Not yet. When she can walk without looking like she is intoxicated, then we'll talk. But really, I don't think there will be alot of other kids there. I really just don't know. Any help would be appreciated!

Well, I am going to go shut my brain off and read for a while. I have other pictures that I was going to post, but they are all the same. Alex with various types of food in her hair. She is learning how to use a spoon, and the result has been mashed potatoes flung impressive distances and pasta being dumped on the floor for Violet. But she does know that the spoon end goes in her mouth. It's just getting there with food still on it that's the problem. I still don't know what I am going to do with a second child. Although having a child that just sits there and sleeps and eats food that is readily available at the snap of a hat (er... bra strap) will be a nice break. But he won't sleep through the night. Crap. Give and take I suppose.

1 comment:

Manda said...

Invite the fam over, give the girl a cupcake and PARTAYY!! She won't remember it and will look at the photo of herself eating a cupcake one day ... yep.
Also? SHE'S ONE ALREADY? crazy.
Way to finally get the kid to start cleaning up! Try to have her tying your shoes by the end of your pregnancy. Tell her that will firmly set her up as your favorite kid. :)