Monday, August 2, 2010

Blurb.

Have you ever had one of those days where you were going to the airport to begin a trans-Atlantic move, and about 30 minutes before you get there, you get a recording on your cell phone saying that your flight has been 'affected by a cancellation', only to find out that your connection to Chicago has been canceled and that there was absolutely no way for you to make your connection to London, so you have to push back your whole trip for a day, and now instead of starting at 5 pm and going through the night, you have to start at 6 am, and have a 7 hour layover in DC before finally making it on a flight to London?


No?

Well, I give you permission to live vicariously through me, then. Because I got to live the dream. And through it all, I met some great people, some interesting people. and some very unhelpful people. The kids did wonderfully. We had a few bumps where the insanity of it all tripled, but I did NOT ONCE resort to tears. And I think that says a lot. We were blessed on our trip over here, and it was nice to have at least one thing go smoothly in this bumpy transition of ours (well, you know, besides the canceled flight).

Now, I'm sitting here, with my coffee drip pumping caffeine into my system, trying to adjust to the time shift. My body is not really convinced that I should be awake right now. I am staring out of our window in our reconditioned army barracks, watching the rain start and stop again, not sure whether it really feels like putting forth the effort to really soak us. It's about 70 degrees, cloudy, and everybody is driving on the wrong side of the road. Eli is WALKING across our hotel room right now, looking for the next chord he can attempt to chew on. Alex is "taking a nap". Paul is out searching for a car for us to either buy or rent, so we can start looking for houses.

This all sort of feels dream-like to me, like I am stuck revisiting my past, back to our first year of marriage and misplaced on some foreign land, completely out of my element. But in reality, I am so relaxed and content and at ease being here, like I can finally settle in, after being bounced from place to place for so long. It's a good feeling, especially since part of me was worried that I would get here and immediately regret the decision to come back.

This will be home for the next three years at least. And that makes me happy.


(In other news, [well, not really] I have started looking at houses online that we can rent, and not having actually visited any yet, the following statement does not hold much water, but I think one huge contender in our house hunt is the following: HOUUUUSE!)

1 comment:

Anna D. said...

Congrats on surviving THAT one! sounds like the kiddos are being remarkably flexible, which probably makes a huge difference.

and I am drooling over that house.