Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stagnant Water

Def: When water is confined so as to be practically motionless except as it may be moved by the wind or by the application of other forces to the surface, there is apt to be an accumulation of debris, which manifests itself in various ways.

That pretty much sums it up right now. We are stagnant at the moment, stuck in the 'hotel' of sorts on the base, which, along with the conveniences of actually being on base and within walking distance of stores, playgrounds, and various walking paths, also makes it feel as if you may never get moving again. Our ball has been rolling so quickly lately that this stillness is both appreciated and foreign.

Soon, though, we will be moving into our house. But between now and then, because of the delay in our arriving here, our reservation ends on the 13th of August, so we will be moving out of here and into another short-term housing situation. Not entirely excited about having another move thrown into the mix. The task of moving all of our luggage, along with the food we have in our cupboards and any other random items that have tagged along in our journey so far seems daunting to say the very least. I'm ready for some permanence after all of this moving about, but it will come soon enough... middle of September I am guessing.

The house makes me excited. It is not at all what I envisioned us in during all these months leading up to this, but that's ok. I really did think that we would be living in some old country house, with quirks and character and an odd layout and inconveniently small.... uh... everything. And we found a few of those. And I fell in love with one. You needed a map to get from point A to point B in the house, and the only way the third story could be reached was by a ladder (which my mother pointed out to me last night... how would I vacuum?). It was my personality come to life as a house. And really, if our kids weren't so small, and if we didn't have a boat full of huge, American sized furniture on the way, it would have been the ONE. But after thinking about it and facing the fact that perhaps all those quirks would only become tiresome after a few months, we kept looking, and three houses later we stumbled into this one. Well, I did anyway. Paul stayed in the car with our sleeping children, who have taken to sneaking naps in whenever they can. As I walked through the house, which promised to fit our furniture, I liked it more with every room I saw. I went out to the car, told Paul to go see it because he would have to know where to put the furniture when it arrived, because it WOULD be arriving here. This was it. We are in the process of 'sealing the deal' right now. I am excited!

Well, I think I was planning on writing more, but the kids are getting antsy. We are house-bound again today because of the rain, so I've deemed it a 'quiet day', but apparently they don't agree. I'll try and get some pictures and get them up here.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Stephanie White said...

Yowsa! That place looks huge! And so clean and fresh and lovely. Looks like you made the right choice.

Randi Street said...

You're never gonna want to move back to the States after living in that huge place!! So glad you guys found a place! Good luck on "The Moves" between now and the final one.

Manda said...

Um, your house? I WANT TO GO TO THERE. Five bedrooms?! OH HAI! THE HUDDLES ARE HERE TO VEEESEEET YOU!!