Friday, August 22, 2008

I can't help but drool...

My daughter is watching a Baby Einstein movie right now, and try as I may, I cannot help but get sucked in. The lava lamps, the giraffe puppet bouncing maniacally to Beethoven's fifth symphony, the floating hand opening the little puzzle doors, and of course the toy dog that walks across the screen, flipping over every third step. Captivating. I catch myself with what I am sure is the same look that my daughter has on her face when she watches this stuff. Mouth wide open, a tiny bit of droll escaping unnoticed. I understand that these videos are supposed to promote learning in infants, but I cannot help but feel like I am slowly allowing my own and my daughter's brain cells to.... drift off to nowhereland one by one. But they allow us to have a half hour of quiet time in the afternoon... and if I have to sacrifice a few brain cells in order to get that, then so be it. Brains cells are overrated. A peaceful half hour, however, is not. Let the big colorful caterpillar continue to inch across my tv screen. I'll go make the popcorn.

No comments: