Thursday, May 7, 2009

Reading the Signs.

Alot of motherhood (at least in non-verbal infant stage) is based on informed guesswork. Guess why she is crying, guess why she won't sleep, guess why she thinks dog food is more fun to eat than anything I make her. Guessing guessing guessing. I will be the first to admit that sometimes I guess wrong and then feel awful for all of the 30 seconds it takes Alex to forget that it took mommy a full hour to figure out that that big crap-filled diaper was the reason she wouldn't go to sleep, not that she was just being stubborn.

Well, sometimes it's easy. Like now for instance. I just got her up from her nap, but was unsure if she had actually slept or not. She is the queen at keeping herself awake for HOURS when it's nap time, sometimes staying awake in her crib a full 2 hours before she actually sleeps. And yep, I leave her in there the whole time, only going in on occasion to throw her pacifiers back in the crib. Because I know that if I get her up without her actually having slept, I will pay for it for the rest of the day.

Anyway, I just got her up, after alot of hesitation, because, again, I was not sure if she had actually slept. Well, I have my answer now. This one was easy. I am pretty sure that her head laying down in a pile full of noodles on her highchair means that no, she definitely did not sleep. Oh, and yep, that nails-on-blackboard scream that she just gave me where her veins in her forehead just about burst.... yep, did not sleep.

Now I get to guess what I do about this situation. Yay! (and this is where I start to get really sad/scared because I am about to start this stage allllllll oooovvvveeerrrr agggaaaaiiiinnnn).

2 comments:

beksmuller said...

oh boy. not fun. can you put her in the car and hope she takes a nap while you drive?
Find some sanity (dairy queen or sonic ice cream). That might help :)
do you have white noise or music on while she naps? I know it makes a huge difference with Asa. Many times he has a CD on repeat and the fan going his whole nap.

Manda said...

I do everything the wrong way. I rock her to sleep, I give her a bottle while rocking her to sleep, and then give her a million pacis. I don't care ... it gets me two hours of peace a day (that is unless my husband is bugging the crap out of me instead of doing work in his office like he's supposed to. MEN).