Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Big Steps.

Tonight was a big night. I got the ok from baby doc earlier today to go ahead and supplement a little formula at night. Alex has gone back to not sleeping through the night, and seemed to be very irritable after her last meal, which was not normal. So, with hesitant (and kind of undecided, to be honest) hands, I prepared a bottle for her after her last meal. I poured some water in, dumped some powder on top of it, and... there it was! Milk! It seems so unreal that the milk I have to work so hard to make (I am barely getting 2 ounces when I pump now...boo) just APPEARS so quickly. Honestly. Formula is a magical thing.

As wonderful as it seemed in the bottle, I wasn't sure if it was going to be serving its purpose or not. Alex flat out refuses to eat any food that's been mixed with formula instead of mama's homegrown recipe, so I didn't have too high of hopes. I had Paul give it to her so she didn't see the milk trucks staring her in the face and wonder why she wasn't getting the real stuff. I went upstairs, shaking my head, bracing myself for another long night. But... what's that sound? No, not Violet trying to bury her bone in her plastic kennel... That other sound. That... silence. SHE DRANK... NAY, CHUGGED... THE WHOLE BOTTLE. It was beautiful. I'm - so - proud!

So, we'll see how we go tonight. I could be eating my words. Her stomach could reject the formula, making for a much longer, and messier, night than normal. But I have high hopes.

Even if this works, she will still be nursing for the rest of her feedings. I am still feeding her every two hours (the doc asked me if she was eating every five hours. FIVE. What a luxury to be able to be out in public for 5 hours in a row without having to whip a boob out). But doc said that that's fine. Worse for me, but fine for her, as long as she is getting enough. So, nursing it is, with a little help at night. Works for me.

She's just getting so big so quickly, I am afraid what extra milk will do. Do I see a growth spurt on the horizon? Perhaps.

Look at those ears...


***
Violet is warming up to Alex now, which is really cute. Well, warming up is perhaps too strong of a phrase. She no longer avoids her at all costs. And I got it on camera. I am sure Violet will deny the fact that she is obviously infatuated with this little person at all costs... but we know the truth.






...

Well, since I forgot to hit 'publish post' last night, I guess I could update you on how our night was...

SHE SLEPT THE WHOLE NIGHT.

Didn't get up once. Barely moved.

So happy. :)

3 comments:

Anna D. said...

aaaah, your two girls! something about dogs & babies is freaking adorable.

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to increase your milk supply? I used fenugreek herbal supplement, from a health food store, and the mother's milk tea is a great thing too. Both saved me at points this past year.
It's great that she is accepting formula, Asa never would. I kinda wish I had pushed it earlier on.
Sounds like she's in a growth spurt!
Bekah

Manda said...

Are those TEETH?