Sunday, September 7, 2008

no words.

Tonight, I got a firsthand (ok, well secondhand) glimpse into how awful this world can be. I made a horrible dinner (no, that's not the awful part- that's pretty normal actually), so horrible that we decided to pitch it all and get chinese. Paul was going to pick it up, as Alex was in a foul mood and in no state to travel, no matter how short the drive. When he got back, he came straight down stairs, and the look on his face, I swear I will never forget.
What happened was while he was on his way to get the food, while he was STILL IN OUR SUBDIVISION, in fact- just one street over from our house, he saw two small children walking in the street (no sidewalks here). Paul guessed that they were brother and sister, about 4-5 years old. As he was passing them, he noticed a black truck with an older guy in it slow to stop near them and initiate a conversation with said children. Paul, thinking this was a little sketchy, decided to turn around and ask the man what he was doing. (Which just goes to show, listen to that little inner voice, people) When the man saw Paul turning his car around, he took off. Yep, definitely sketchy. Paul then pulled up to the kids to ask if they knew that man, to which they both replied to the negative. When asked what the man was talking to them about, they said that he wanted to show them something, and something about a 'peepee' and 'butt'. Paul called the police, gave them a full report, and they were at our door in about 5 minutes. Impressive. They will be sweeping the subdivision for the next couple of days. Paul gave them a pretty good description of the guy, plus the first 3 letters of his liscence plate. And since then, he's been on the internet looking up the registered sex offenders in the area. Bless him.

This scares the shit out of me. When I was younger, I could go around the block, down to the store, really anywhere I could get to on a bike without causing too much worry. But even then, it was the worry of me falling off my bike, or getting lost. But now, kids can't even go down their own street without their parents having anxiety attacks because some pervert might pick them up. Scares. The. SHIT. out of me. What sick, sick people.

2 comments:

smashley said...

Good job, Paul. Seriously.

Manda said...

OH MY DAMN. That makes me want to cry. Good for Paul.